Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
At times I crave a shrimp cocktail. It reminds me of holidays, sea and sand. This Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe is the healthiest shrimp cocktail you ever came across. We have adjusted all the ingredients to leave only the most nutritious and most nourishing of the savors.
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time5 min
- Total Time25 min
- 2 cups of ketchup from Primal Kitchen Ketchup Organic and Unsweetened
- 2 cups of clam juice from Bar Harbor Pure All-Natural Clam Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Organic Mustard
- 1 pack of rice crackers from Organic Eduard & Son-Baked Brown Rice Snaps (Gluten-Free)
- Cayenne pepper
- Celtic Sea Salt to taste (I add 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 pounds of sustainable wild-caught shrimp
- 1 extra-large onion (red of white) finely diced
- 4 stalks of organic celery finely diced
- 3 or 4 large fresh tomato diced small
- 4 scallions sliced
- 2 cucumbers peeled, de-seeded and, diced small
- the juice of 2 limes
- one bunch of fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 3 cloves of freshly pressed garlic
- 2 avocados some cubed and some sliced to decorate
Cooking the shrimp
- Start by adding the 2 pounds of shrimp to a large pot and add filtered water until it covers all the shrimp by two inches of water.
- Place the pot on the stove on high heat and add a teaspoon of salt.
- When the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium until the shrimp cook to 137 F or 59 C
- When the shrimp gets to 137 F, cook it for another 2 minutes
- Strain the shrimp through a colander and let it cool on the countertop while you prepare the rest.
Preparing the Vegetables
Chop and prepare all the vegetables, onion, celery, tomato, scallions, cucumbers, tomato, cilantro and, add them to a large bowl where you will prepare the cocktail.
Add the ketchup, clam juice, mustard, lime juice, garlic, and salt to a bowl and whisk all ingredients well.
Mixing all ingredients
- Add the dressing to the chopped vegetables and mix them with a spoon.
- Add the avocado
- Serve in individual cocktail glasses or other
- Decorate with a slice of lime and a slice of avocado.
- Add a pinch of cayenne for those who would like to have some.
- Serve with rice snaps (rice crackers)
This recipe is fresh and light. It is a perfect dish for summer parties and family gatherings.